Profile Picture
Computer Insider is the world's first broadcast technology series, launched in 1986. Since our first broadcast, we have been constantly redefining our content to meet the needs of consumers to delivering information of value to today's consumer.

Show #2019-53 Broadcast March 14, 2019

Before hitting 70 market globally last week, there was a pre-order period for the Samsung Galaxy S 10. In Korea, for instance, fewer people pre-registered for the Galaxy S 10 that did for last year’s Galaxy S9 and Note 9, falling short of expectations on its home market. In the U.S., however, the Galaxy S10 generated the highest-ever pre-order sales of any Samsung smartphone.

Even though more expensive than the base or budget models, the Galaxy S10+ accounted for 57 percent of all pre-orders. Samsung didn’t make any figures public regarding how the rest of 43 percent is distributed between the Galaxy S10 and Galaxy S10 e.

Analysts are predicting that Samsung will move between 40 and 45 million Galaxy S10 units (combined) this year. Even though Apple no longer releases any actual sales figures related to iPhones, same analysts say that, in comparison, Apple shipped 66 million iPhones in the first fiscal quarter of 2019 alone.

And just before you go thinking that Apple is out selling Samsung, remember that we’re taking about the S10 vs all iPhones, and if you take a step back and look at the big picture, the collective market share for Android is 81.7 percent, meaning that for every ten people using a smartphone, about 8 are using android and 2 are using an iPhone.

Since I started doing this show some 35-years ago, the one rule that we have always stuck with is to stay with the most popular products or if you will, stay with the mainstream. Way back when I was first playing with personal computers, I was burned several times by products that had a short life expectancy due to a lack of success, like my Commodore 8032, Atari, Radio Shack and CP/M collectively. Computer companies are always focused on selling product and consistently year over year target the largest market possible.

Reporting for Computer Insider, I’m Bob Pritchard

Comments are off this post!